Trump Confirms High-Stakes Nuclear Talks With Iran Set for April 12

April 8, 2025
1 min read

Trump Confirms High-Stakes Nuclear Talks With Iran Set for April 12

President Donald Trump has revealed that the United States will hold direct nuclear talks with Iran this Saturday in Oman, in what could mark a pivotal moment in global nuclear diplomacy.

Speaking alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, Trump said the talks would take place at a “very high level” and warned that failure to reach an agreement would make it a “very bad day for Iran.”

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi also confirmed the meeting, though he clarified it would be indirect. “It is as much an opportunity as it is a test,” he posted on X. “The ball is in America’s court.”

The announcement follows years of rising tensions after Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal during his first presidency, calling it deeply flawed. Since then, Iran has steadily breached key commitments under the agreement, including stockpiling enriched uranium—fuel that can potentially be used in nuclear weapons.

A Last-Ditch Effort?

Trump has previously raised the threat of military action if Iran fails to agree to new limits on its nuclear program. Last month, he sent a letter to Iran’s Supreme Leader via UAE intermediaries, offering a chance to negotiate. Though initially rebuffed, Iran later signaled willingness to engage through a third party.

Now, both nations are poised for rare engagement amid worsening regional instability and international pressure to avoid escalation.

Israel’s Red Line

Netanyahu backed the initiative—cautiously. “If a deal can be done diplomatically in a full way, the way it was done in Libya, that would be a good thing,” he said. Still, Israel maintains a hard line, with reports suggesting it is prepared to strike Iranian nuclear facilities if diplomacy fails.

Iran, meanwhile, insists its nuclear sites are for civilian energy use, but international watchdogs such as the IAEA remain alarmed by the country’s uranium enrichment progress.

What’s at Stake?

A new deal could lead to sanctions relief for Iran’s crippled economy, while ensuring international oversight of its nuclear program. But trust remains low, especially after the collapse of the original Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), signed by the US, China, Russia, the UK, France, and Germany in 2015.

With talks set for April 12, all eyes are on Oman, a frequent host for behind-the-scenes diplomatic engagements.

Should the talks succeed, they may reduce nuclear tension in the Middle East. If they fail, the risk of military confrontation and regional destabilization could escalate dramatically.

Latest from Blog

GCC Sukuk Issuance Expected to Slow in 2026

GCC sukuk issuance is expected to slow during 2026 as prolonged geopolitical tensions in the Middle East weigh on investor sentiment, economic growth and regional financing activity. According to S&P Global, growth

UAE’s EDGE Acquires 80% Stake in Italy’s CMD

EDGE Group has agreed to acquire an 80% stake in Italian propulsion systems manufacturer Costruzioni Motori Diesel as the Abu Dhabi-based defence conglomerate accelerates its expansion across Europe. The transaction marks another

City Centre Mirdif Guide for Shopping and Fun

This City Centre Mirdif guide shows why City Centre Mirdif stands out as one of Dubai’s most convenient and complete retail destinations. Whether you travel from Sharjah, Deira, or central Dubai, the

Dubai Travel Hacks to Cut Daily Costs

The Dubai travel hacks you use daily can make a real difference in how much you spend getting around the city. While transport in Dubai is efficient, costs can quickly rise with

Dubai Flight Disruptions Affect Global Airlines

The Dubai flight disruptions continue to reshape global travel plans, as airlines adjust schedules and cancel routes amid ongoing operational constraints at Dubai International Airport. A reduced flight schedule remains in place,

Dubai Villanova Expansion Adds 850 Homes

Dubai Villanova expansion is gaining momentum as developers respond to rising housing demand across the emirate. As a result, Dubai Properties has awarded nearly Dh1.1 billion in construction contracts to grow its

Don't Miss