Washington D.C. — July 9, 2025 | Former U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met for the second time in two days on Tuesday evening to push forward a proposed 60-day ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas, with only one unresolved issue standing in the way of an agreement.
The closed-door meeting at the White House lasted approximately two hours. Earlier that day, Netanyahu had held separate talks with U.S. Vice President JD Vance and Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson.
“We still have to finish the job in Gaza,” Netanyahu said after the talks. “But negotiators are certainly working toward a deal.”
Talks Progressing, One Sticking Point Remains
Steve Witkoff, Trump’s special envoy for the Middle East, confirmed that the deal is close, with negotiators narrowing down from four sticking points to just one.
“We had four issues, and now we’re down to one,” Witkoff said, adding that the draft agreement includes the release of 10 living hostages and the repatriation of nine bodies.
The meeting marked Netanyahu’s third official U.S. visit during Trump’s second term and comes at a critical juncture in ceasefire efforts aimed at halting the deadly conflict that erupted in October 2023.
Qatar and Hamas Position Themselves
Before the Trump-Netanyahu dinner on Monday, a Qatari delegation held extensive talks at the White House. Qatar, a key mediator in previous negotiations, has urged patience.
“We need more time,” said Majed Al-Ansari, spokesperson for Qatar’s foreign ministry, in a statement on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a Palestinian source said that Hamas negotiators have yet to report significant progress in the latest negotiation round, which began Sunday.
Background on the Gaza Conflict
The war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a deadly surprise attack on Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli officials. In response, Israel’s military launched a massive offensive that has since killed over 57,000 people in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry.
The White House is optimistic, with Trump stating on Monday that “talks are going very well.” However, progress hinges on final consensus between Israel, Hamas, and mediators like Qatar.
- Trump’s Foreign Policy in the Middle East – Brookings Institution
- Humanitarian Toll in Gaza – UN OCHA Reports
For the latest on Middle East geopolitics, ceasefire agreements, and global security diplomacy, stay with Bizmart Global.