Gaza Paramedic Assad al-Nassasra Freed After Detention Linked to Deadly Rafah Strike
GAZA, April 30, 2025 – The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) has confirmed the release of Assad al-Nassasra, a paramedic detained by Israeli forces during a deadly strike in Rafah, southern Gaza, on March 23. The attack killed 15 emergency personnel, including eight PRCS paramedics and six Civil Defence responders.
Al-Nassasra, who was missing for over three weeks, was confirmed to be in Israeli military custody by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). He was released Tuesday at a border crossing, along with nine other detainees, according to PRCS.
The Israeli military has not publicly commented on his release but had previously acknowledged detaining al-Nassasra during an internal investigation into the attack.
Background: Tragedy in Rafah
The incident took place during an emergency call-out in the Tal al-Sultan area, where ambulances, a UN vehicle, and a fire engine were targeted. Survivors said the vehicles were clearly marked and using emergency lights. The bodies of the victims were later discovered in shallow graves near the wrecked vehicles.
Initially, the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) claimed troops had fired on “suspicious vehicles” operating in the dark without lights. However, a video found on the mobile phone of a deceased paramedic, Rifaat Radwan, showed the vehicles were using their lights. The footage ended with the sound of gunfire as Radwan exited his ambulance and recited final prayers.
An IDF inquiry released on April 20 cited “operational misunderstandings” by a reconnaissance unit, concluding that the deaths were unintentional. It also acknowledged the unlawful killing of a UN employee, which it attributed to a breach of combat orders.
As a result, the deputy commander of the involved unit was dismissed for giving incomplete and inaccurate reports during debriefings.
Red Crescent and UN Response
The PRCS condemned the findings, calling the report a “systemic attempt to distort the truth” and shield Israeli soldiers from accountability. It rejected allegations that Gaza’s medical teams were linked to Hamas, labeling such claims as excuses for attacks on protected humanitarian missions.
A senior UN humanitarian official echoed this sentiment, warning that “a lack of real accountability undermines international law” and increases global risks for humanitarian workers.
Ongoing Conflict and Humanitarian Crisis
The port explosion comes amid intensified Israeli operations following the collapse of a two-month ceasefire on March 18. Israel says it is pressing Hamas to release 59 remaining hostages taken during the October 7, 2023, cross-border attack.
Since then, more than 52,000 people have been killed in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run health ministry. The UN has warned of starvation and humanitarian collapse as Israel blocks aid and fuel deliveries. The UN rights chief, Volker Türk, has reiterated that collective punishment and starvation tactics constitute war crimes.