Joshua Mollel Hostage Remains Returned Under Gaza Ceasefire Deal

November 6, 2025
1 min read
Joshua Mollel hostage
Joshua Loitu Mollel, a Tanzanian hostage who was kidnapped in the deadly October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas on Israel, and was later declared dead by Tanzanian authorities, is pictured in this undated handout photo. Courtesy of Bring Them Home Now/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES

The Joshua Mollel hostage case has come to a solemn close after Israel confirmed Hamas returned the body of the 21-year-old Tanzanian student on Wednesday as part of a U.S.-brokered Gaza ceasefire agreement. Mollel had been on an agricultural internship in southern Israel when Hamas-led fighters attacked on 7 October 2023, killing him at Kibbutz Nahal Oz before taking his body into Gaza.

Following forensic identification by Israel’s National Centre of Forensic Medicine, the foreign ministry informed Mollel’s family of his confirmed death. Israeli officials expressed their condolences, stating they “share in the deep sorrow of the Mollel family and all the families of the fallen hostages.”

Six Deceased Hostages Still Held in Gaza

The Joshua Mollel hostage return marks one more step in the complex exchange process under the ceasefire terms. Israel said Hamas remains obligated to return all deceased hostages. To date, the remains of six victims—five Israelis and one Thai national—are still in Gaza.

Before the handover, Hamas’s military wing announced it had found a body in the eastern Shejaiya district of Gaza City, an area where Israeli and Red Cross teams have been allowed to conduct searches. The discovery came shortly after Israeli-American soldier Staff Sgt. Itay Chen’s body was recovered in the same area.

The Hostages and Missing Families Forum said Mollel’s return “offers some comfort to a family that has endured unbearable uncertainty for over two years.”

Ongoing Ceasefire Challenges and Political Implications

The Joshua Mollel hostage exchange was carried out under the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire, which required Hamas to release 20 living and 28 deceased Israeli and foreign hostages within 72 hours. In return, Israel freed 250 Palestinian prisoners and released 1,718 Gaza detainees.

However, slow progress in locating the remaining bodies has stalled the second phase of President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace plan, which includes governance reforms, troop withdrawals, and reconstruction. Israel accuses Hamas of delaying the process, while Hamas claims many remains are buried under rubble.

Mollel’s tragic death underscores the human cost of the prolonged conflict—one that continues to claim lives, test diplomatic patience, and challenge peace efforts in the region.

Latest from Blog

GCC Sukuk Issuance Expected to Slow in 2026

GCC sukuk issuance is expected to slow during 2026 as prolonged geopolitical tensions in the Middle East weigh on investor sentiment, economic growth and regional financing activity. According to S&P Global, growth

UAE’s EDGE Acquires 80% Stake in Italy’s CMD

EDGE Group has agreed to acquire an 80% stake in Italian propulsion systems manufacturer Costruzioni Motori Diesel as the Abu Dhabi-based defence conglomerate accelerates its expansion across Europe. The transaction marks another

City Centre Mirdif Guide for Shopping and Fun

This City Centre Mirdif guide shows why City Centre Mirdif stands out as one of Dubai’s most convenient and complete retail destinations. Whether you travel from Sharjah, Deira, or central Dubai, the

Dubai Travel Hacks to Cut Daily Costs

The Dubai travel hacks you use daily can make a real difference in how much you spend getting around the city. While transport in Dubai is efficient, costs can quickly rise with

Dubai Flight Disruptions Affect Global Airlines

The Dubai flight disruptions continue to reshape global travel plans, as airlines adjust schedules and cancel routes amid ongoing operational constraints at Dubai International Airport. A reduced flight schedule remains in place,

Dubai Villanova Expansion Adds 850 Homes

Dubai Villanova expansion is gaining momentum as developers respond to rising housing demand across the emirate. As a result, Dubai Properties has awarded nearly Dh1.1 billion in construction contracts to grow its

Don't Miss